Search This Blog

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Ziggy Marley Says Marijuana Is 'Nutritious,' Tour Is 'Best Ever'

Most of today's younger generations have only really experienced Bob Marley through music or sparse interviews. However, the spirit of the legend undoubtedly lives on through his eldest son, Ziggy Marley. Ziggy's career in music began in the late '70s, alongside his father and siblings on the track, 'Children Playing in the Streets.' His reign as bandleader of the Melody Makers showed the family journeying into pop-friendly reggae music, picking up where their father left off. His solo career has consistently displayed a natural talent, whose music translates fluently through live performances. Three decades later, Ziggy is on his sixth solo album, 'Wild and Free,' and in the midst of his Forward to Love tour.

The iconic Marley is an admitted naturalist, and after all of this time, he still builds his music based upon a vibe. That vibe has carried him through all corners of the globe, currently in the US, where his live shows have moved fans to send personal messages to Ziggy online. His new foray into social networking -- find him on Facebook and Twitter -- has afforded him the opportunity to hear these stories firsthand and inspires him to continue. While the music is still moving, he's working with famed artist Jim Mahfood on a graphic novel series titled 'Marijuana Man.' Ziggy also hopes to go into acting and pursue other creative projects outside of music.

In speaking with The BoomBox, the big brother Marley talks about the important uses of the marijuana plant -- he says it's nutritious -- what he hopes for his children, the direction of his music and his new weed-inspired comic book.


You've been in the industry making music for decades. What still keeps you going?

Keeps me going? Well, the inspiration. I'm inspired to do music. I really can't stop unless I stop being inspired. The continual need for ideas, consciousness, messages for the world, for people. I feel we provide through music. It's the inspiration that causes us to say the words we're saying. So that's why I cannot stop unless the inspiration stops.

Over the years as your tours have progressed, what have you done differently live?

I think this tour [Forward to Love] is so far going to be the best tour I've ever done. I just kind of been touring so much I understand the audience, I understand people, understand the musicians. I think the connection is much more stronger now because over the years I've been learning and picking up things as I've gone on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment